5 Reasons Internet List Posts Drive Me Crazy
1) Ubiquity: Wherever your Internet journeys may take you, there they are — lists. Lists on everything from 11 Tips On Starting A Business to 17 Ways to Make the Best Blueberry Pancakes This Side Of Omaha. No Internet site worthy of its URL is without its fair share of list posts these days.
2) Nobody Has a First Mover Advantage: Being the first to establish a particular niche can be everything on the Internet. Internet lists are so generic that anybody can run them without the fear of being accused of ripping off someone’s else’s idea. (OK, this point doesn’t drive me crazy, but I thought I would mention it anyway.)
3) Some Weaker Points Are Clearly There Just to Fill the List: At least one and probably more of the items on the list are going to be obvious filler because – though a list post appeared to be a brilliant idea at first – the realization suddenly strikes you at about item #3 that you didn’t have enough material.
4) I Am No Darn Good at Writing Them: See point #3 and multiply it by however many points are on my list.
5) They Work: People love lists. I love lists. Whenever I see one, I am bound to click on it. I want lists! Give me lists!